Ads Top

The Great Divide: Tablets or Laptops?

When I was starting college there was one thing I knew I needed more than anything else: a laptop. I needed it for papers, watching tv shows, and general web surfing. It never occurred to me that a tablet might possibly be a good substitute for a laptop. More and more people are coming to school with iPads and are leaving laptops behind. Is this a good idea? That's exactly what I would like to discuss.

I want to start by saying, this is my opinion. I've done some research to help formulate this opinion, but that's all it is. Also, I'm a traditionalist. I prefer real books to e-readers and there just seems to be something authentic to me about a laptop.

One of the most appealing aspects of tablets is their portability. They are small and lightweight, which makes carrying them to classes a breeze. However, they totally lack the processing speed and memory that a laptop has. Most laptops are certainly heavier than tablets, but they also allow you to store so much more information.

One of the aspects of tablets that I really dislike is the lack of a keyboard. I can't write a paper without a keyboard. Thankfully, a lot of companies have come out with keyboard cases or just attachable keyboards that allow for typing, which I think is a great feature. Another aspect that I dislike is that you are tied to apps that are only available from either the iTunes, Google, Microsoft, or whatever store your tablet uses. Some classes require certain programs for homework or projects, but those may not always be available on the tablet.

To me, it just seems like a no-brainer that laptops are superior in basically every aspect. The only concession I will make on this fact is for the Microsoft Surface tablets.

They are essentially a computer except that you can't put any outside programs on them. The only problem is that they are pricey. I checked them out on Best Buy's website and the cheapest one (not refurbished) is a 64 GB Surface 2 that costs $499.99, but that one comes with a 2-year contract because it's an AT&T 4G LTE capable one. The most expensive on they have is a 512 GB Surface Pro 3 that has a 12 inch screen and an intel core i7 processor for $1,849.99, a very impressive machine.

The thing is, if all you want a tablet for is the fact that it's light, you don't really need a tablet for that. Almost, if not all, of the major computer manufacturing companies have begun making 2-in-1 computers. You can now by a computer that will either detach from the keyboard or flips to make it more tablet like. It's great and you can get them for a fraction of the cost of that Surface Pro 3.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, but I would really think long and hard about whether or not a tablet is the right decision for you. Don't just take my word for it, do some research and find out for yourself!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.