Ads Top

Why Do I Keep My Old I iPod Around?

When I was in high school, I think it was my freshman year, I got my first iPod. It was a blue 4th generation iPod Nano. I finally felt like a cool kid (because that's what I measured coolness by back then). It has a memory of 8GB and I only use 6.95 and have 1233 songs. In all honesty, I could take a large amount of that off and I need to add a lot from CDs that I have that I haven't put on there, but basically what I'm saying is that I don't own that much music.

This is what my iPod looks like. Isn't it cool and so retro?


You might be asking, "Erin, don't you have a smartphone that you can listen to music on?" The answer to that is, yes. In fact, all my music is currently on my phone and I do use it to listen to music. Why then do I keep my old iPod?

One reason is sentimentality. It was the very first Apple product that I owned. It's also the only Apple product I have ever owned. Something about that fact just stops me from being able to get rid of it. We have a bond. All the music that I'm slightly ashamed to own (countless songs performed on Glee) is on it. I just can't dismiss that.

The other reason is practicality. I can keep it in my car for easy access without having to drain my phone batter by playing music from it on a long trip. Plus, it's a whole lot smaller than my phone. My phone, with its case, is 2.5 inches wide and 5 inches tall. That's big. My iPod is 1.5 inches wide and 3.6 inches tall. Not to mention the fact that my phone and wallet case weigh a substantial amount more. I once dropped my phone on my foot and developed a bruise. When I go running (which, let's be real, is not often) I don't want to have to carry a huge phone around in order to listen to music. My iPod is small and is so much easier to carry.

It may seem like I'm keeping hold of an "obsolete" piece of technology, but that iPod and I have a bond and I'll be keeping it around for awhile.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.