Ads Top

Looking Back

As graduation day approaches, I can't help but look back on my last few years here at Harding and reflecting on all the memories that have come during that time. I have worked here at DormNet for the past three years and have learned a lot since my first day. Since this is my last day working here, I figured it would be appropriate to share what I have learned and recount some stories I experienced as well.


  • Dorm wireless internet is fantastic. So I know it doesn't always work perfectly and sometimes causes trouble (shout-out to Village), but seriously having wifi in the dorm makes everything worlds easier. When I first came to Harding and started working for DormNet, if someone wanted to be able to connect wirelessly in the dorm they needed to purchase/bring their own router. However, each router would have to be set up a certain way to play nicely with Harding's network, and so we at DormNet had to set up each and every router that was brought to campus. We would get really good and efficient at setting these up -- I got to the point where I could set one up in under a minute -- but having to do this for the thousands of routers on campus was a pretty big task. Some students would try to set up the routers themselves and try to get internet that way. Not only did that not work, but it caused many other people in the dorm to get cut off from the internet! Then we at DormNet had to form 'router hunting' teams to find the problem router and get it set up properly. Now, all one has to do to connect to the dorm wireless is essentially sign in. So much easier!
  • The people in Harding's IS&T department are amazing and genuinely care for students. You may not get this because of some small frustrations with the internet being down for a little bit, or because you don't want to download an antivirus program on your Mac that can't get viruses (absolutely not true, and the viruses are so much worse to deal with). However, these people work their hardest to make sure that something we all take for granted here, having internet, is easy to use and as consistently available as possible. Problems do arrive from time to time from unforeseen places that hamper our ability to use the internet. But know that when these problems occur, the staff here at Harding (including us at DormNet!) are willing to work into the night to make sure that everything gets fixed as quickly as possible. And you may not enjoy having to install programs to be compliant with Harding's policies, but those policies are there to make sure you and everyone on campus are protected from all the crap on the internet that could harm us. Everything they do is intended to make using the internet here on campus easier and more reliable, and so please thank them for the awesome work they are continually doing for us!
  • God can be glorified in every situation. When I applied for DormNet, I wasn't initially thinking that it would be a great way to serve God. I was just looking for a job, and this one was highly recommended to me by my friends. However, in working here these last three years I have seen that we can be giving glory to God in every situation. Every time students come to us seeking help with their computer issues, we have an opportunity to be servants of Him and show everyone His love. Computers can be frustrating to deal with, but to be able to be friendly and loving in the face of the frustrations they can bring I think can be a great Christian thing to do. We interact with students from all different walks of life, and the way we act and serve gives us an opportunity to reflect Christ in our interactions and give glory to Him. He can use us to improve other students' lives through this service that we have learned how to do. Through this job, I have learned that it really doesn't matter what service or job we're doing, anything and everything we do can be used to glorify Him. I hope that whatever you are doing and wherever you are in life, you can remember this and use your skills for Him.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.