Ads Top

To the incoming Freshman...

It's rather true what they say about college, you blink and 4 years has gone by in an instant. It feels as though it was just yesterday when I arrived on campus for Stampede (what y'all call Bison Bound now). Little did I know that in those moments I would make some of my closests friends that would be with me all the way until graduation. I remember the excitment yet downright nervousness of going through the registration line at Impact and having to say goodbye to my parents shortly after that. These 4 years have been the most formative years of my life: I've made lifelong friends, made priceless connections with my professors, traveled around the world, learned two languages, learned so much about technology, and so much more. I say all of this not to scare you, but to give you hope.

Your first semester will probably be the toughest one for you, not academically but emotionally. Saying goodbye to your friends and family from home will be one of the toughest things to do. You will struggle through the homesickness, and it will get better. As you make friends and connections, Harding/Searcy will begin to feel like home. Over these 4 years I have learned a lot, and I want to share with you a few of those things.

1. Social clubs aren't everything: I, myself, never joined a social club and I don't think I really ever missed out on anything. At the end of the day, it's not the quantity of friends but quality of friends that matters. Having said all of that, I strongly urge you to atleast go through the club process at the beginning. Go to as many mixers as you can and don't be afraid to be yourself around these people. It also important to realize that if you don't get into that club you wanted, it's not the end of the world. Those people exist outside the club and you can still be their friends.

2. Take that class that interests you/will challenge your world view: College is a very important time to let go of your childhood and form your own opinions and world view. Although there are some great courses in the bible department that will challenge your world view, it's important that you step outside into different rhelms of thought. Whether it be African-American Literature, Womens' Literature and Feminist Theory, French/Spanish/Italian 101 (If you took any of these languages in high school you could earn 8-14 credit hours worth of a language), Environmental Science, Art History, Personal Fiance, Phonetics, International Law and Diplomacy, and so many more, each class will expand your knowledge and worldview.

3. Stay Open: Much like #2, it is important to stay open and willing to change. Take time to explore different areas of Christianity and religion. Take time to let go of your responsibilities for a day to go hiking on Sugarloaf or Pinnacle. Go on a spontaneous adventure to Little Rock and explore different little shops/art galleries downtown. Go to a flea market. Go to an open air market. Try new foods (no mexican is not a new food). Read a new book. Listen to new music. Get rid of your phone for a day. There is so much you can do; you get the point.

4. Pick your major: I switched my major at least 9 times my first year of college and I changed it for the last time my Junior year. You don't have to have it all figured out. Let me say that one more time you don't have to have it all figured out. And if you do that's great. Take those first few years to explore areas that interest you. Chances are, you will find the major perfect for you. Although it is important to remember that you will have loans to repay after college, pick a major that speaks to you as a person. No matter what the major, the job market is open to you. So don't be so worried about the future because you are already making steps in the right direction.

5. Utilize your professors: Okay. I realize this makes your professors sound like objects and I didn't mean that, but your professors know a lot more about life than you. Don't be afraid to stay after class and ask questions. These questions don't even have to be about the class. At Harding you have an advantage: the professors here care about you and are willing to form friendships. My professors have helped me with my spiritual life, they have allowed me to learn more about my areas of interest, they have cooked meals for me, and even watched Netlflix with my friends and me. Also, these same professors are the ones that will help you find great jobs after you graduate.

6. Travel: I don't care if it's going home with a friend during Spring Break, taking a weekend trip to Dallas/St. Louis/Nashville, or studying abroad for a semester. Travel. Diversity is important and you won't be disappointed. You can learn so much about the world by traveling even if it isn't outside the United States. Each state and each city has their own culture that you can learn from. Even venturing outside of Harding's campus in Searcy can bring you to many different cultures around the world.

These are just 6 of many other things I could have said. I could go on and on about functions, spring sing, concerts, art exhibits, and so much more; but I won't. You will have to discover those things for yourself. As sad as it is to post my last blog post for DormNet, I am ready for bigger and better things in life. The people I've met and the opportunities I've had here have prepared me for so much. Just think, in 4+ years you too will be ready to walk across that stage and embrace the future.

Enjoy your first year of college!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.